Book Review - Future Quest Vol. 2

Future Quest Vol. 2Future Quest Vol. 2 by Jeff Parker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is just crazy fun. Yes, nostalgia plays a huge part in how much I enjoyed this series, but given the number of tense cliffhangers, action scenes and familial camaraderie thrown in, you can't help but love this book.

I read this volume in single issues, and have to say, this started off a bit slow - and I wondered if it was going to be a good end to this first season (assuming there maybe more seasons to come). But the pace really picked up, and the final two issues were outstanding. Not everything our heroes plan works out, and that gives rise to unlikely heroes. Everyone works together as a team, even former bad guys join in to save the world; all of which is quite a feat. I have to commend the writers for making the concept work and still keeping the backstories and individual worlds interesting.

It is wonderful that the artists stuck to drawing the characters exactly the way we remember them. The series would not have felt authentic enough had they not. Shout out, however, to artist Ariel Olivetti for issue #8. That was some stunning photo-realistic illustrations there, I couldn't take my eyes off the pages.

I absolutely loved this series. I think 12 issues was just enough for this season, but I would love to read about this merry band (and maybe some of my other favourites as well) joining again for new adventures and battles.

View all my reviews

Comments