Book Review - Hell's Gate

Hell's GateHell's Gate by Laurent Gaudé
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So, apparently I had wished for this book on Netgalley, and promptly got it. I don't remember why I wished for it, it doesn't seem like my kinda thing. I don't know what to make of it either - its fantasy elements seem contrived and derived from so many known works of art. It doesn't feel very original, yet its foundation is overwhelmingly practical.

Matteo and Giuliana are torn apart by the sudden violence that kills their son - the first third of the book wallows in their unending grief; their sorrow feels tangible and real. But, soon we descend into the realm of the fantastic, and this part of the book feels far too familiar to be novel. It's too derivative of the works of Dante's 'Inferno', without being a direct copy of the same. Despite this, it is a compelling and gripping read.

I found the translation wanting. Despite being erudite, it was not polished. Nor was it free of errors - too often I found myself rereading sentences because there were missing words.

There are enough twists and turns in the tale to keep even the most unlikely reader (me, for example) interested. The atmospheric setting of Naples and the well-rounded characters help carry the story along.

While I don't think this story is memorable, the writer certainly has a firm handle on human emotions and the effects of loss in people's lives.

View all my reviews

Comments