Oscars Countdown 2014 - Gravity

Ensign Lestat's Oscars Countdown, 24/02/2014

'Gravity'
Nominations - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Sandra Bullock), Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Production Design, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects, Best Score

There was a lot of hype around the release of 'Gravity' and when I watched it I understood why. It was the most absorbing, exciting spectacle on celluloid that I had seen in a long-time. It starred a female lead out in space, and unlike the usual token girls she has a backstory, an arc and brains. I loved it, in spite of its flaws, as can be read here.

Despite it all, I was still surprised to see the film getting a nomination for the big prize at the Oscars. It just... didn't seem like the kind of film the Academy would pick up. I wonder to myself if in a 5-nom year it would get a nomination, but then I'm reminded that 'Avatar' nearly walked off with the big prize a few years ago, and that film, though technically innovative, is the worst piece of beautiful art I have ever seen. With a precedent like that, why shouldn't 'Gravity' vie for the golden statue? It at least has impeccable acting, a coherent story and a universal message.

Without a doubt, this film is best viewed in the immersive IMAX 3D screens, but it's just as wonderful on tinier screens, if not all that memorable on them. I am sure that the film is going to walk away with all the technical awards - it would be a shame if it didn't, because the techniques were beyond imagination. If there any other film among the nominees that is just so utterly spectacular?

I'm not sure about Sandra Bullock's Best Actress nomination, as I felt she was capable, but hardly outstanding. She was far more emotive in 'The Heat', though I know that her character is supposed to be dead inside. It would have been interesting if she had got a nom for 'The Heat' - it's not unheard of. Most likely the award will go to Cat Blanchett, because she really is unbelievably brilliant.

I would love for the Academy to award innovation over hype. We've got two sci-fis in the noms this year, and it gives a glimmer of hope that the Academy is actually watching a greater variety of films and recognising them. Innovation may be on the wane in Hollywood, but the few that make it to the screens are always mind-blowing.

'Gravity' won't win the big prize, but it's still likely to be the most awarded film of the night - it would be a travesty if it isn't. 

Comments