Sherlock

Ensign Lestat's TV Log, 24/01/2014

'Sherlock'-mania was officially in recess before news floated in that season 4 will be with us sooner rather than later. Well I am certain that there is a pang of excitement in the majority of us as we anticipate Sherlock and Watson' s upcoming adventures.
Well. I. like pretty much the majority of lay TV viewers, eagerly anticipated the arrival of Sher and his perennially befuddled sidekick when season 3 premiered. The whole family got together and we tried to ignore the world for an hour and a half  to spend time with these two. Now this is a particularly difficult task in our house as we tend to migrate to our individual corners with nary a provocation. 

And finally the first episode began. It showed us how Sherlock faked his own death which then... turned out to be just a crazy theory. The entire episode seemed more interested in debunking theories than actually giving us a factual answer (which makes me wonder whether the writers themselves have an answer). We were also introduced to a brand new character from the Sherlock canon, Mary soon-to-be-Watson (Amanda Abbington).

As the episode went along and the next one came along and the finale was much talked about, we finally, nearly a week after the finale had actually aired sat down to watch it. It had hardly finished when my sister burst out 'That was a terrible episode'. Well, I just had no idea how to react to this. She had called the second episode silly and hadn't made any mention of the first.

So, with almost two weeks to ponder the most-anticipated TV show of 2013, I've come to a sad and uncomfortable conclusion - I don't actually like 'Sherlock'. It put Benedict Cumberbatch on the map, and his star has ascended ever since. It also reminded the world of Martin Freeman, whom I don't think I'd actually ever seen in anything before, barring in trailers. But, no, fact is, I do not like this show. I don't actually enjoy it, find it interesting or intriguing. The revamped and updated stories are too bizarre and Watson seems to be the abused wife stand-in (especially in season 2). 

The show seems to run on the extraordinary chemistry between the two actors and the names of these beloved characters, but tries too hard to be different from all other renditions and its history. Unfortunately, their chemistry has steadily diminished, and the lack of memorable supporting characters has made this a failing two-man show. It attempted to create a clever Moriarty, but he made for a disappointing presence. The only on-screen Moriarty that has been magnetic was the one played by Daniel Davis on 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' - I don't know what that says about me. 

This 'Sherlock' came along the same time as the Robert Downey Jr. films, and now we have the American version, 'Elementary', which I have not watched. The RDJ films have been much-maligned, and I wasn't sure about them, especially the first, though I adore the second. Recently, I rewatched the first one, and it was fabulously entertaining, again riding on the extraordinary chemistry of its two leads (both of whom are gorgeous) and the nitty-gritties of the beloved tales. They too failed in their choice of Moriarty, however. Jared Harris is a great actor but his presence was over-shadowed by the two leads. 
But, anyway, back to the matter at hand. However hard 'Sherlock' tries to bring a classic to the modern age and make it relevant and entertaining, it is failing, disastrously. Trouble is everyone's so fond of it, or at least the loudest majority is, so it appears the show will just continue on in the same strain. I don't mind the otherness of Sherlock, at least he tries to explain his great abilities and his lack of social skills. That's not the problem, the problem is everything else with the show. And let's not start with their rendition of Irene Adler, who was purposefully hyper-sexualised to cut down on the lead bromance. I hope we don't see her again. While Mary Watson turned out to have a past, and I sure was hoping she'd turn out to be some devious super-villain, turns out they weren't interested in giving her that ability. Sucks! 

I know I'll probably watch the fourth season, because, I admit, I actually do enjoy watching the two characters, however, I wish they'd just make the episodes more succinct - more deduction, action, detection, investigation and friendship. The second episode, I concede, really was silly, though the concept and the case was more than interesting. The series writers need to improve their execution, because they're going to lose some of their fans sooner rather than later. Nudging hints at gay subtexts will not working if you don't actually include a more diversified cast - no important coloured characters, no able female characters (what's going to become of Mary now that's she going to have a child? And, seriously, what's up with the character of Molly?) and yes, no gay characters even in the cases (no, Adler doesn't count), just doesn't add up to an updated classic. Not seeing it.
As much I wish the very best to Freeman and Cumberbatch, who are able actors, I need the writers to smell the fresh air of non-fandom and actually make some compelling stories, that aren't just about CGI surrounding their lead star. Mind palaces are a great idea, but really, a creepy, slimy baddie who's agenda was never going to be important because the climactic reveal is what the writers were after is not how a finale should be. In short, after so much whinging, all I really want is a good story which draws on the knowledge of all its ensemble cast of characters. Well, here's hoping.

Comments