Book Review - Batman, Volume 2: I Am Suicide

Batman, Volume 2: I Am SuicideBatman, Volume 2: I Am Suicide by Tom King
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The turkeys keep on coming. I think it's time to give up on the Batman Rebirth series. It's a disaster - I've read two or three volumes (probably not in the correct order) and each one has been a bigger shocker than the last. It astounds me that the man behind The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, Tom King, is behind these awful plots and even worse dialogue.

It doesn't help that the Netgalley copy had pages missing text. It's evident some text was supposed to be there - but it didn't make it in time for the galley copy. Which made the volume even less decipherable.

The story - what story. Who cares? Essentially, it is that Bats has to find someone called Psycho Pirate (what a name) so that he can undo the damage done on Useless Gotham Girl's head. He decides to get hold of a bunch of crazies from Iron Heights and they head over to Bane's place to capture Pirate.

No one can trust anyone and it feels terribly derivative of The Dark Knight Rises. Lots of endless repetitive talking goes on. Honestly, most of the dialogue is repetitive babbling. Everyone says the same things over and over - it's like they ran out of ideas. Catwoman is in there for ostensibly one reason only (I think she's useful to the story, but no longer care).

Also, everyone is white. DC is so white and straight and primarily male, it makes me wonder if the execs inhabit the same world the readers do. It is right painful to see this. I don't get it - no wonder Marvel is laughing it's way to the bank (or not).

This entire series is a lost cause. I think I'm going to give up on Bats now.

View all my reviews

Comments