Book Review - Future Quest, Vol. 1

Future Quest, Vol. 1Future Quest, Vol. 1 by Jeff Parker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Future Quest is an 80s/90s kid's dream come true. A bunch of our favourite Hanna-Barbera cartoon superheroes are pulled into the same fight and have to work together to save the world. When I first heard about this book, I was intrigued and couldn't wait to get my hands on the goods.

Volume 1 was available on Netgalley, and I surprisingly received a copy of it! It starts off with a bang and the first couple of issues rekindle the magic of our youth. The focus on Johnny Quest and the gang made it particularly special, for me at least, as I loved that show as a kid. Plus - Space Ghost! So much awesome in these pages.

I felt the story fell away a bit during the end issues of this volume; it seemed to be getting too convoluted for its own good. It is a little hard to keep the awe-inspiring surprises going all throughout. But, given that many of our favourite shows from our childhood didn't have much diversity, DC have worked to include a little more range in their characters, even if it is in the form of new kid on the block, Ty.

Future Quest is a space opera nonpareil, and it's easy to get lost in. I'm glad the creators didn't go in for too many deviations and aberrations from the stories and characters we grew up with - that would have ruined the fun. They look exactly the same as they did on the tele and the dialogue inflections of each character are as close to those I remember from my childhood.

Some of the characters are more prominent than others, which becomes problematic if your favourites aren't in the limelight. However, I'm assuming most will be in the spotlight at some point or other.

For a fun, nostalgic journey to the past (and future), grab a copy of this series. You have a rollicking time ahead!

View all my reviews

Comments