Book Review - Midnighter and Apollo #2

Midnighter and Apollo (2016-) #2Midnighter and Apollo (2016-) #2 by Steve Orlando
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am a self-confessed newbie to Midnighter and Apollo, so wrapping my head around what's going on is particularly hard. Having said that, I'm getting there. Midnighter is a dark Batman; he was created to be all about violence and fighting, which is completely at odds with the person he is, who seems to be kind, loving and passionate. Issue #2 finds him searching for a way to save his partner Apollo, through some very comic-book-y means. It's not action-packed like the pilot, this one's all about discovering where Apollo's soul has ended up. Turns out Apollo was attacked by some pretty freaky looking machine-thing between issue #1 and this one, and now he's lost in some kind of limbo. It's kinda like reading a Thor comic, but with less badly drawn caricatures (I'm generalising, yes), and a lot more heart.

Midnighter meets up with a Doctor Strange-like character called Extrano, who has seriously piqued my interest and I'd like for us to meet him again in the series. Extrano uses his mystical powers to find Apollo, but his discovery is less than ideal. But, nothing gets Midnighter down. We end with him being all gung-ho about rescuing Apollo, so that's a good thing, I guess.

Even though I don't get much of what is happening, or who the side characters are, the gist of it is pretty clear-cut, and the basic premise easy to get behind. I feel like the comics are way too short, to be honest. Wish they were longer so they'd have a little more substance. But fun all the same. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this crazy series. Who knows, it might begin to make sense after some time.

View all my reviews

Comments