Book Review - Future Quest #1-4

Future Quest (2016-) #4Future Quest (2016-) #4 by Jeff Parker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

DC's 'Future Quest' throws together Hanna-Barbera's best superheroes in an epic cartoon crossover series that will tickle every 80s and 90s kid.

I was super-excited to get my hands on this series. It's a wonderful reimagining of several of our favourite childhood cartoons. These shows were part and parcel of growing up, and it seemed like a fun idea to see all these characters from so many different shows come together in one series. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've thought about these shows that more often than not I find myself Googling who the characters are - they seem familiar but I can't quite remember all of them.

The Herculoids, Jonny Quest and Hadji, Birdman, Mightor, Space Ghost and his sidekicks and soooo many cool characters must battle some villains and the oncoming destruction of the universe together. If you want to revisit your childhood, this series is it.

However, the trouble with such a vast landscape of characters is that the story becomes convoluted - and invariably some characters fall by the wayside, while others (often not your favourites) take centre-stage. And others never got the invite, so you keep looking for them but they don't show up. :(

Four issues in and I'm concerned the series is derailing itself. It might just be suffocating under the weight of its own ambition. I'm not sure how well-planned the concept is, but it's been a mixed bag so far. While the issues in themselves are campy, pacey fun, they do not advance the plot much, because each issue is attempting to introduce two to three new groups of characters. With the narrative constantly stuttering the author is unable to engage the reader as much.

And that's a real shame, because this is such a fun concept, and one that has been a long time coming. But if it hasn't been thoroughly planned, we may just go backwards and forwards with exposition while not getting much in way of story.

I hope the next issues are better than #4. Undoubtedly the poorest entry of the lot, it did nothing more than give us background information about some characters we've either never met before, or weren't written well enough in the cartoons. I, for one, don't remember so many female characters in the cartoons, so they are a welcome addition to the comics. I just hope the writer does them justice, and they don't become cardboard cutouts. This maybe a childish series, but it can still do right by equality.

Reliving your childhood has never been more epic than with 'Future Quest'. I really want this series to do better and last a long while.

View all my reviews

Comments