Book Review - Captain America: Steve Rogers (#1-2)

Captain America: Steve Rogers (2016-) #2Captain America: Steve Rogers (2016-) #2 by Nick Spencer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't review the first Captain America: Steve Rogers because I knew there would be a valid explanation for Cap suddenly turning out to be Hydra.

The internet outrage after Cap's final page declaration in #1 meant I got my hands on the comic as soon as I could. I had to know what all the fuss was about. I took Cap's Hydra background with a pinch of salt; there was no way Marvel or the writer Nick Spencer was going to make such a sea-change in Cap without there being some reason. Cap is fundamentally a good person, so there was no way he could justify being Hydra.

All is revealed in #2 and it at best makes sense, at worst, seems like a contrived cop-out. Honestly, nothing the creators did would seem otherwise. Also, one can't immediately assume that the writer backtracked his original plan once faced with the internet vitriol - pretty sure they knew what they were doing all along, and the poor author just put up with all the death threats because #2 was coming soon.

I quite like the two issues so far. The art is vivid and engaging and the story is relevant and intriguing. I think we could do with less expository dialogue (especially evident in #2), but it's all very interesting and I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Cap as Hydra functions and how the whole of SHIELD gets out of this mess. The justification for Hydra-Cap fits with the story and looks to be foreshadowing some devious evil coming our way. It is predictable (we all know who the villain is), but in the end a fun read.

Comics are supposed to be cool, easy reads; people need to take them less seriously. Here's hoping #3 continues to be interesting.

View all my reviews

Comments