Book Review: The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the TrainThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oddly enough I actually really enjoyed this book. I like that the female characters, of which there are plenty, are not perfect or close to it. I also like the structure of how the story and the crime unfolds. I do wish the female characters weren't so influenced by the men in their lives. Surely one or two of them could have played a part in the story without being completely cowed down by the male characters!

The prose was simple and precise but the author uses the text to deftly narrate the tale. All three perspectives are unique in their own way. The only time the first person narrative didn't work was at the end, when it seemed impossible for a human being to formulate rational thought given the circumstances.

It's a fun read without being too melodramatic. I don't think I'd like to know any of these people but they all felt authentic and oddly realistic. Just wish the author had tried to define the women apart from the men in their lives.

View all my reviews

Comments