Book Review - Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Nightmares And DreamscapesNightmares And Dreamscapes by Stephen King
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If there's one thing I've realised over the course of the past years, it's this - I am not a fan of Stephen King. Yes, he has incredible ideas, some of which are far-fetched enough to seem plausible. He's a great writer, he'll draw you into the most ridiculous world possible, and you'll believe him. But, none of that, apparently, can convince me to become his most avid fan.

Picking up N&D, I was only interested in the fact that it was short stories. Nothing else. It starts with a bang - Doolan's Cadillac is accomplished, if not terrifying. What King does best is that he draws out the emotions and feelings of his characters. They are varied and versatile. They are diverse, but not confined to tropes. He's been writing a long time, and hence, sometimes his work just isn't up to scratch.

The first story is the best, the others; well, they trudge along. None of the others stuck in my mind, though at the time of reading, they struck me because of their diversity. But, that's about it. There's not much in the way of horror - maybe we're just too jaded to be drawn into these crazy worlds any more - today's world is crazy enough.

View all my reviews

Comments