Book Review - The Martian

The MartianThe Martian by Andy Weir
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well, that was fun. It's an exciting, humorous and intense adventure as we follow the struggles of Watney, stranded alone on Mars. It's quite technical as well, with a lot of scientific and spec details. Don't know if all of it has been corroborated by NASA but it sure sounded good.

I like the fact that Weir added the administrative shenanigans. And how cool is that, there's an Indian character in there as well.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and was enthralled by the characters' escapades. It's well written. I was tempted to give it a higher rating, but Weir tows some familiar lines and I... kinda got annoyed by that. There's a stupid romance thrown in, and some.... non-PC stuff which would have been funny a few years ago but just grates on today's reader.

I'm still glad I borrowed this from my sister, the resident space nut. I'm not surprised that the book has been made into a film, it lends itself well to the visual medium.

View all my reviews

Comments