Book Review - Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Killing JokeBatman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've heard a lot about this book so it was great to finally get my hands on it.

As a one-shot it is interesting and intriguing. It features the Joker as the central character and surprisingly gives him a tragic back story.

I don't believe Moore ever imagined the repercussions his piece would have on the greater Batman universe. It did have an impact however, for better or for worse.

I read the deluxe edition which featured artist Bolland's final colour scheme. The artistry is definitely top-notch.

The story though... It was new and innovative for its time, but it doesn't really bring all that much new to the table. I would prefer the Joker to be a figure clouded in mystery, rather than attempt to make him sympathetic. For a vile and violent character as that, nothing can make him sympathetic.

The story has come under criticism, mostly regarding its treatment of Barbara Gordon. There's also the fact that Batman, near the end, appears to trivialise the incident by reasoning with the Joker.

Comic books are problematic. Always have been for the female reader. This book is no different, unfortunately.

View all my reviews

Comments