Superheroes Unite... on TV

Ensign Lestat's TV Log, 23/05/15

I love superheroes. Anyone who's scrolled through my blog will know this to be true. Good, bad, or ugly, I'm usually in line to catch it, and then, despite myself, re-watch it several times over.
One of the greatest developments on TV recently (according to me, anyway) has been the flurry of superhero shows. Based on Marvel and DC Comics so far, we've got a fair few to choose from. I look back to around five years ago, when I got my superhero fix via the '60s Batman series on Youtube (those were desperate times). But now, we've got weekly hi-jinks to looks forward to. Well, now we have no hi-jinks, because all seasons have concluded and they'll be back only in the fall (I'm guessing).

For someone who found television only interesting when live sports came on, this shift to superheroes has been a lucky break, and I've enjoyed every moment of it.

To share the love, I've been planning (for a long time) to put down some opinions on these shows that take up huge chunks of the week. Some of the shows aren't in fact superhero shows, but they're generally in the same ballpark.
  • 12 Monkeys (not a superhero, but essentially doing the same thing, saving the world)
  • Agent Carter (not technically a superhero, but have you met Peggy Carter?)
  • Agents of SHIELD (people with powers turn up)
  • Arrow (you try arguing about who's a superhero with this guy)
  • Daredevil (no one has not heard of this guy)
  • Gotham (no superheroes, lots of supervillains, though)
  • Supernatural (hey man, they've spent ten years saving the world, they get a free pass)
  • The Flash (hands down, a winner)
No promises on the order of the logs. But keep checking back to see an update.

[Note: I should be putting 'Constantine' on this list, because he's a DC hero, but considering I gave up on the show in utter disgust a few episodes short of the finale, I can hardly claim to have an unbiased opinion on it. Suffice to say it was terrible and annoying. Matt Ryan did his best, but this show had no flavour and no direction. They swapped out the leading lady in the pilot because they didn't want a damsel, and brought in an incompetent simpering one in her place. Wait, what? The episode with the nun was such an eye sore, I gave up on it completely. Is it cancelled yet? It really should be.] 

Comments