Hugh Jackman Will Always Be The Wolverine

Ensign Lestat's Film Log, 07/09/2013

I have admittedly been tardy in publishing this post.

I am Wolverine!!!!!!!!!!!!
'The Wolverine' has come and gone - not only from the cinema halls, but also from the memories of most of its audience. But, I just want to add my two bits to the lack of coverage on it out there.

Not so long ago I was a constant comic book reader - well X-Men comics anyway. Eventually a pattern began to form - Wolverine was everywhere. You breathe and it's a story about or at least featuring Wolvie. Tedious, I thought, because I was, and still am, more interested in the likes of Cyclops, Angel, Havok and Iceman.

But, recently, when I veered towards the Ultimate universe, it dawned on me just what a charismatic character he really is. He's charismatic in the regular universe as well, and I'm sure, once I go back to that (and I'm certain I will), it will be with a renewed appreciation for the character.

Admittedly, I sat down to watch the first X-Men film because of Wolverine. Okay, not exactly, but close. Hugh Jackman, at the time, was the only known name to me, which may come as a surprise to some, as that was his US breakthrough role. I'd seen him in an episode of Halifax when I was a lot younger. Later, my family was bowled over by his energetic performance at the launch of Fox Australia.

So, voila, an energetic action film featuring mutants (a subject of interest to me) featuring Hugh. Off I went with my Dad and sister and there began my obsession with this wonderful community of folks.

My love and appreciation for the X-Men remains, even if my love for comic books doesn't (that explanation requires a separate blog post on its own).

'X-Men Origins' Fun, enjoyable, beautiful,
but not a very good adaptation.
The sequel to 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' was not hotly anticipated. The first one did not do all that well, critics didn't like it, and I don't think box office results were as expected either.

Fact is, I had mixed feelings about that film. I wrote a review (rather a blow by blow account of the entire film) because I really enjoyed it, but it had deviated so starkly from the comic book canon, that I wasn't entirely sure if I liked it.

Having said that, I've watched 'Origins' several times over, and have been thoroughly entertained every time.

For 'The Wolverine', I made a conscious decision to evade all teasers, trailers and the like. But the moment it appeared to get stuck in production hell, it was evident that the movie just wouldn't match up to expectations.

That's the thing about this film. In the end, when I finally went in to watch it (its release was delayed where I live due to Ramadan), I had zero expectations. I wanted to watch Hugh Jackman play a character he dearly loves. That's it.

And, unfortunately, that's all I came out with, as well.

'The Wolverine' is based in Japan, one of the most significant series in the comic books. We are quickly introduced to Mariko (Tao Okamoto), who comic book fans know is the love of Wolverine's life (okay, kinda). Moment I saw Mariko, I knew this movie would not do justice to the books.

The story, though interesting, is very familiar. Wolverine is given an option to change his life, he is unwilling to take it, but the change is thrust on him. Mariko is kidnapped and then saved by Wolverine (as well as by a little bit of her own fighting abilities). We then fall into a lull, as Wolverine desperately tries to figure out where he's going, and which path to take. The past haunts him, but there's Mariko, and she appears to be a chance for a future.

Yukio (Rila Fukushima) plays Wolvie's right-hand man in the film, and she ably assists him for large chunks of the story. Then there is Harada (Will Yun Lee), a friend of Mariko's but whose actions are mysterious, and his motivations, dubious. He was, undoubtedly, one of the most interesting characters in the film, but he was given little to do.

In the end, Wolvie gets the bad guy, and he and Mariko very obviously form a special bond together. But...

Wolverine and Mariko - A match doomed
to fail, but one we always root for.
I loved the Japanese stories in the comics. There was something spectacular about how, despite all of Wolvie's strength, immortality, and adamantium claws, he could not possibly become significant in that country without learning loyalty and honour. And, how, most importantly, he could not win Mariko's love without those attributes. 

Granted, those books are quite old-fashioned, and I would not have enjoyed seeing a Mariko on-screen suffering from domestic abuse, with no recourse but for Wolverine's ability to gain a place in her clan. But, the Mariko we do get is a much-too-young woman, completely out of her depth and with little personality. We know that she is a strong character, because, heck, she takes over the huge Yashida company, and that will not be an easy task for her. But, she does not look like she's Wolvie's equal. She is protected and saved by Wolvie throughout, but it's only once (partly) that she comes to his aid. 

Somehow, not having that exciting dynamic between the two characters just killed the film for me. They should have chosen a much older actor for Mariko, perhaps even one with a recognisable CV (this is Tao's first feature film). 

As I mentioned earlier, the story is interesting. Basing it in Japan, means putting Wolvie outside his comfort zone. The situation he's put in is also something completely unknown to him. This way Hugh Jackman gets to explore a brand new side of Wolvie - the almost desperate, but deeply vulnerable side. Vulnerable emotionally and physically. 
Out of your depth!
One of the features of this film, and one not completely absent from the first, was the humour. The humour definitely punctuated a fair number of scenes and was quite memorable. 

All in all, though, this movie wasn't as much a disappointment (as that would suggest some predefined expectation to begin with), but it was underwhelming. It did not have enough action, at the same time, it could not allow itself the luxury of only being a character-study.

I believe herein lies one of the biggest drawbacks of making a Wolverine film. His invincibility, immortality and his claws are but one part of the story. Seeing that in action is a prerequisite. We expect and want to see it. The trouble is we also want to see the loner side of him, the long-suffering side, the sad side.

This film tries to balance the action with the character study, but ends up in giving neither. It is a noble effort, no doubt about it, but it does justice to neither.

We've had the chance to discover so much of Wolvie through the comics. Two hours of a film can't give you that much. And you can feel the directors and writers straining to fit all of that in there. It's all an inherent part of that charisma I spoke of earlier. He's the kind of character you really want to know and understand, because, deep down, even though we're nothing like him, he's more like us than anyone can imagine.

I liked this movie, but it wasn't memorable. A stronger Mariko, greater emphasis on Harada, a few more recognisable faces (especially the big bads, who were disappointingly not at all scary and imposing, and I couldn't take them seriously at all) and a better integration of action and character would have made this film at least a little more interesting. But, it's worth a watch simply because of Hugh. His love for this character seeps into his every scene. He is passionate and compassionate about Wolvie, and that makes the character enduring. Whether we will see another solo outing for Wolvie is unlikely. I believe some people enjoyed the fiercer portrayal of Wolvie in this film, but it has come and gone without much of a bang. Is it worth risking another venture? Maybe... if we bring back more familiar names. Or perhaps Wolvie is best seen in a community, than as a standalone. Only time will tell.
Let us now leave you with this endearing image of Hugh Jackman. Swooning shall commence in T-1 seconds.
My Top 3 Moments (Spoilers Galore):

1) Dreams - I reckon this might be a fallout from being in such close proximity to the overly powerful Phoenix, Wolvie spends an extraordinary amount of time in this film dream-talking to Jean. And Jean is played by Famke Janssen, who kindly came back to her role for this film. This cameo was almost ruined for me by the stupid newspaper which mentioned she was in the film, but my brain conveniently forgot about this when I was watching it, which meant I was as surprised as the next person when Jean turned up. Lovely to see Famke as Jean again. Maintaining that closeness between Jean and Wolvie is a vital aspect of the 'X' films, and she's the one who conveys Wolvie's character arc in the film.

2) Wolvie swears - Now this is a strange one to include, but I have to admit it was outright hilarious. Harada is attempting to threaten Wolvie, and all he gets in return is "Go f#@$ yourself, pretty boy". Fabulously funny, and well, I was kinda expecting it, to be honest. Love the deadpan delivery from Hugh. A real highlight of the film.

3) Mid-credit scene - Well, another expectation from action films these days, but this was a whopper. First up, when Wolvie opts for the pat down at the airport, he catches a news report about Trask. Then, time stops and he's made immobile by, you guessed it, Magneto. Then we see the Professor, still in his wheelchair, but looking sharp, considering he was last seen being obliterated by Phoenix in 'X3: The Last Stand'. 

It was very exciting to see the two characters return, but it means that this is a surefire way of legitimising 'X-Men: First Class'. Well, that was anyway on the cards, and since Wolvie showed up in that film, without a doubt 'Days of Future Past' will feature him as well. That means that in the movie world Scott and Alex are not brothers, or at least not brothers in the right order. 

However, Magneto returning with his powers means only one thing - poor Bobby 'Iceman' is now lying dead somewhere, with a traumatised Rogue next to him, because she's gone and killed him by accident. Damn!

Comments