Secret Codes and Battleships - Darren, you cannot disappoint!

Ensign Lestat's Music Review, 02/12/2012

There was a time when a new song or album by one of my favourite artists was pretty much all I lived for. Every viewing of the music channels was with a hope that I'd come across a Sting track, or the latest 911 number; maybe even Michael Jackson's 'Remember the Time'.

But that was a long time ago. Now most of my favourite bands have disbanded; Michael Jackson, Maurice and Robin Gibb have passed away. The music channels are on only when there's a surety of '80s and '90s music; the radio channels are a bore.

But despite it all, it's not all doom and gloom. There's always something to look forward to. My taste in music has evolved and expanded. I am more welcoming towards that one-off song by some random artist, and despite previous losses, there are still favourites making new music for me to enjoy.
Savage Garden, my introduction to Savage Garden
A case in point, Darren Hayes. I have loved Darren's music since his Savage Garden days. When 'I Want You' premiered, my sister took a shining to it, and it wasn't long before she had converted me. My Mum then surprised us by buying the album, which resulted in 'Savage Garden' playing on loop for a few eons. I fell in love with 'Tears of Pearls', 'A Thousand Words' and 'To the Moon and Back'. I still have an affinity for those songs despite having heard them for the first time over a decade ago. This album also became a favourite of mine several years later, when it was my constant reading companion.
Affirmation, cementing my obsession
If their first album was brilliant, 'Affirmation' was superb. It had the right mix of funk, pop, soul-searching and Darren's expansive vocal chords. The title song was hypnotic, but the likes of 'The Best Thing', 'Chained to You', 'You Can Still be Free' and 'Gunning Down Romance' branded themselves permanently in my heart and mind. Darren's voice had never sounded more beautiful, and Daniel Jones' music never so perfect. Most of the songs were fueled by Darren's divorce, and the ensuing effect on all involved. The album was engaging and more than just memorable. 'Affirmation' inspired me to begin writing my songs and poems again. It also sparked a nearly four-year long crush on Darren. Yup, four years. His music appeared to be the only thing that inspired me, his words the only thing that interested me.

When Savage Garden disbanded it was quite a shock. After only two albums, the duo were going their separate ways. I was deeply disappointed. But, nothing is more constant than change, and before I knew it 2002 saw Darren release a solo album. The first single from 'Spin' was 'Insatiable', a sound that was a clear departure from Darren's SG days. But what was unmistakable was his glorious voice. His words wound their way into my heart, whether I wanted them to or not. It was a beautiful, ethereal song. And, to top it all, my neighbour was so obsessed with it that he played it virtually every night at around two in the morning, thereby establishing itself as a haunting ballad.
Spin, Darren's first solo album
I waited three months before opening my 'Spin' CD, and that too, only because I enjoyed 'Strange Relationship' so much. I loved the album as it harked back to the old SG days while involving Darren's uniqueness. Every single song either included the word 'Spin' or a derivative thereof. The songs were certainly catchy and light, much more abstract than the 'Affirmation' tunes. I fell in love with 'Crush' and 'Dirty', while enjoying 'Spin'. 'I Miss You', 'What You Like' and 'I Can't Ever Get Enough of You' were heartfelt love songs.

By this time my interests and passions had shifted. Music, though still an essential ingredient in my life, took a backseat to other loves. Even my crush on Darren dissipated.

Come 2004 and 'Pop!ular' hit the screens. This was a seemingly brand new Darren - back with his dyed black hair of the SG days and a confident spunk that was absent from the 'Spin' videos. If I loved the beat of 'Pop!ular', it could not match the beauty and sensuality of 'Darkness'. I don't know which was released first, but this was the order I saw and heard them in. I knew, as soon as I heard 'Darkness', that his latest album, 'The Tension and the Spark' was going to be something extraordinary.

On one of my brief visits home, I recall standing in the music store, staring longingly at the T&S CD, hoping to send telepathic signals to the family to get it. No such luck, as we wandered home again, sans CD. But, halfway through dinner, some music began playing, and the familiar sound of Darren's heavenly voice swept through the room. Surprise, surprise! The parents had bought a copy of T&S while I hadn't been looking.

Well, what can I say about 'The Tension and the Spark' - nothing bar that Darren's album title is more indicative of the effects of the album than he could ever have intended. If 'Spin' was on loop for three months, T&S was a permanent fixture in the CD player for at least six. I distinctly recall the majority of my first year in college with a background score of T&S. Darren let his raw emotions seep through every song - be that of sensuality, lust, sadness, despair, loneliness, pain or betrayal, they were laid bare for his listeners. The tumult every song bore into my pores and my heart. 'I Like the Way' and 'Sense of Humour' included a level of sexiness (for lack of a better word) that I hadn't associated with Darren before. Then songs like 'Light', about the birth of his best friend's child and 'Dublin Sky' (about a heartbreak over the end of a relationship) were beautiful tunes that stirred up seriously strong emotions. 'Love and Attraction' was the sole tune that harked back to his SG days, but there he included a bisexual element, one that I hadn't come across since 'Memories are Designed to Fade'. His songs are almost always universal, but I thought 'Love and Attraction' was wonderfully modern in its outlook. 'Hero' was about putting people on unreasonable pedestals, and it felt true to life. 'Unlovable', 'Void' and 'I Forgive You' were all about betrayal and the lack of love. These saw Darren at his rawest, and they grated (in a good way) against your heart. His voice is convincing, we already know that, but his imploring in the songs was at times too much to take. It was an unshakable album. I even wrote a review for it for a college magazine which, unfortunately, never took off. I have yet to decide which of the songs I love most. That album is certainly one of my favourites, if not the topmost favourite of them all.
The Tension and the Spark - the Album of the Century!
Following the revelation that was 'The Tension and the Spark' there appeared to be some downtime on Darren's music. Or perhaps it just feels that way to me. I learnt, from my parents, that Darren had remarried and was settled in England. On his website he put up a very happy message. My thought at the time, after realising that his inner pain would now be doused, was, 'How will this affect his music?'

One fine evening my sister was humming a tune to herself. When I asked what it was, she mumbled something that sounded, to my Mom and me, like 'a new Darren song'. Following this there was no activity, no excitement. I was surprised that she wasn't introducing this new album to me, but I didn't push it, thinking she had probably come across the single online and was now in the process of procuring the album for me.

The following day, she bounded up to me and told me that Darren had made a new album and she would like me to listen to it. Well, I already knew that a new album would be presented to me, she had mentioned it the day before. She looked rather quizzically at me when I retorted in this fashion, as she had only come to know of the new album that day. Oddly enough, both my mother and I had misheard her the previous evening. She had actually been humming some song already part of our library and had said so. All I can say is, premonition anybody?
This Delicate Thing We've Made - A beautiful double album
'This Delicate Thing We've Made' was a double album that shifted Darren's sound back to his SG and 'Spin' days. The synth and techno-filled sound of T&S was gone, almost completely. 'Delicate', an album from which I saw absolutely no videos or singles until later, was a self-exploratory album - it was much more confident than T&S, and more importantly, a much happier one. Songs like 'Casey', 'Sing to Me' and 'The Tuning of Violins' were all hopeful, happy songs about being with the one you love or about being loved. At the same time, 'Waking the Monster' and 'How to Build a Time Machine' looked back at the regrets of his past; they dealt with his wish to rectify the wrongs of others and of his own. 'Listen All You People', on the other hand was about the present, capturing the need for minorities, like himself, to find togetherness, community and happiness.

'Step into the Light', 'Who Would've Thought', 'Future Holds the Lion's Heart' and 'Setting Sun' explored the sound of T&S, maintaining a semblance of a connection with his previous album. I was impressed by the range of subjects, but at the same time a tad disappointed with songs like 'Bombs Up in My Face' which would have, in my opinion anyway, made enough impact without him digitizing his heavenly voice. But I particularly love 'Neverland', which comes alive when you pay attention to the lyrics. I thought 'Two Beds and a Coffee Machine' was a triumphant look at family problems, but 'Neverland' captured that same topic with twice as much intensity. A brilliant but disturbing tune.

'Delicate' was a self-aware album, a mature album. It was Darren and it was Darren's influences. You can hear the Annie Lennox, U2, Michael Jackson and Prince influences in some of the tunes. And, what I love most is, he wore his tributes like a badge of honour. He did not attempt to cover them up, they are blatantly obvious.

'Delicate' did not reach the pinnacle of T&S, but it was, in its own right, a superb album, especially regarding the diversity of sound and subjects of the songs. He also allowed his voice to explore new levels, going higher than I'd heard him before, and using his baritone to great success. A successful album for me, at least.

Following the boom in social media, I've been following Darren on both Twitter and Facebook. Darren kept his fans updated on the release of his new album 'Secret Codes and Battleships'. An enterprising title to say the least. I love his album names, by the way. They are always indicative of what's to come, without being pretentious or average.
Secret Codes and Battleships - Brilliant, Happy, Positive!
I think Darren uploaded the first of his songs from 'Secret' sometime in 2010. This was 'Talk Talk Talk', not a particularly well-named song, as far as I was concerned. Suffice to say, I did not listen to it. It is hard to explain, but I approach every new Darren album with a considerable amount of trepidation. I always try and wait for at least two singles to be released before buying the album. I'm sure that will not always be possible, but so far so good.

I remember he kept counting down to his first single, the evocatively titled 'Black Out the Sun'. Yes, I was looking forward to it all right. But no luck finding it on TV. I did chance upon it on the radio. I tuned in near the end, and, of course, recognised the imploring cries of the one and only immediately. I waited with baited breath for that song to play on the radio, but these instances were few and far between.

Suffice to say, Youtube was my favourite companion, and 'Black Out' blared into my ears whenever I had the chance. Soon after, the second single, 'Bloodstained Heart' appeared. It was touted as bringing back the Savage Garden sound. I didn't agree.

Anyway, after that I couldn't wait to get my hands on the album, while at the same time, panicked about how it would turn out. If 'Delicate' saw a mature, happier Darren, what on earth did 'Secret' have? He's now been happily married for at least five years. He's fighting for gay rights, but is wonderfully cheery in his tweets and posts.

After months of waiting, last week, my sister was finally able to get her hands on 'Secret' (notice how she is always the one who has to get me the album?). She also got a couple of other albums. But when I asked her which I should listen to first, it didn't take her a second to point me in Darren's direction. Why think and dither? I knew where I was headed, and so did she.

The album starts off innocuously with a plaintive piano, before bursting into full flow with 'Taken by the Sea'. 'Taken' is undoubtedly characteristic of the entire album. Darren implores, cajoles, convinces, persuades and loves you into loving him and staying with him forever. All his sadness is gone, it has been taken by the sea, or it has dropped to the floor by your kiss. Fact is, even if he's been separated and parted from the one he loves, even if he's pushed his love away, they're meant to be together and they will do so because of that. Lovely lovely! You couldn't get more positive than this album.

'Don't Give Up', 'God Walking Into the Room', 'Hurt', 'Cruel Cruel World' and 'The Siren's Call' are pretty much about the same thing- stay together, because you're meant to be. 'Nearly Love' is about your average relationship, things are good, things are bad, it happens, you'll get used to it. 'Taken by the Sea' and 'Roses' are about hanging on to what you've got and appreciating it. 'Stupid Mistake' is about losing love because of your own foolishness, and paying for it since. I especially love the inclusion of this particular alert-like siren Darren has in this song, which is indicative of the gravity of the mistake he's made. 'Bloodstained Heart' is fantastic, because he tells you he's going to be with you through thick and thin. All these songs appear to be evidence of a happy marriage and a mature adult exploring and learning about what true love is all about.

'Black Out the Sun' on the other hand is about loss. Darren's voice is at his most astounding best in this song - there's a range of emotion on display that I have not heard in anything before. He implores, he begs, he consoles, he is perfect, why the heck are you leaving him? Okay, he doesn't say that, but if anyone sang that song to you in the way Darren does, you'd be a fool to leave them too. Choosing this song as his first single was an intelligent move. It has the greatest range in music and it pulls at your heartstrings like no other.

One song I've failed to mention is 'Talk Talk Talk'. This is similar to the others, working your way through the troubles in your relationship by talking. But, with a title like that, I had expected little, only to get a lot. The music is brilliant, almost anthemic. This song is one of those that has to stay on loop for a while. It has to sink in, deep.

I can't stop listening to this. While I don't believe it has trumped 'The Tension and the Spark', I can assure you that it is very, very close. At first I felt that Darren had not used enough creativity in his album, that it was lacking that element of originality that his previous two efforts had shown, but I think I'm going to eat my words on that point. Songs like the aforementioned 'Black Out', 'God' and the sensational 'Talk' and 'Stupid Mistake' are a completely new sound and explore a very new kind of music. I wish he'd ended the album with one of these instead of the simpler, though effortlessly beautiful 'Cruel Cruel World' and 'The Siren's Call'. After the former explosive pieces, those two are almost too innocuous to be apt conclusions for the album.

Darren has surprised me again, and without a doubt has sparked a new inspiration in me as well. I love this album, and have been listening to it continuously all week.

Below is a graphical representation of how I rate the twelve songs on 'Secret Codes and Battleships'. Now excuse me, I have to go back to listening to it.
My rating for each song out of 10
Find out more about Darren at www.darrenhayes.com
Become a fan of Darren at www.facebook.com/DarrenHayesOfficial
Follow Darren at twitter.com/darrenhayes

Comments