Eulogy to an Angelic Voice

Ensign Lestat's Personal Log, 21/05/2012

Robin Gibb - the Voice of an Angel

It's a sad day today. Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees has died, and with him the end of a beautiful band and era of music. Nearly a decade ago, his twin brother, Maurice, passed away from a similar condition. Maurice was the first of my idols to pass away, and the thought that I'd never see or hear that voice or partake of that music again was heartbreaking.
The Bee Gees never came back, but Robin continued his musical career, releasing at least one album after Maurice's death that I got hold of.
Robin was always the more popular of the Brothers Gibb, and one can hardly blame the public - his popularity finally leading to him leaving the band for a while. His music on albums such as 'Secret Agent' were different from the Bee Gees sound - more synth, more emphasis on that heavenly voice. His songs were uplifting songs of hope despite despair.
Fifteen years ago, a tween switched to the music channel and came across a song and a band that would, for all eternity, change her taste in music. 'Alone' from the Bee Gees' 1997 album, 'Still Waters' was a breath of fresh air for me. The vocals soared, the crescendos peaked, and I was smitten for life. I have heard a lot of the Bee Gees ever since, but the impact of that album is deeply ingrained. Not least for Robin's vocals, lyrics and music. I love 'Irresistible Force' sung almost exclusively by Robin. I also love their b-side 'Rings Around the Moon', a single emphasising Robin's voice.
I remember watching a documentary on the band not soon after. Maurice talked about how, when Robin was in a train accident, he felt strange and knew something had happened to his twin. Later, when Maurice passed away, reports mentioned that Robin felt something was wrong as well. It must have been difficult for Robin when his twin passed away, but I think now of Barry, the eldest brother - he's the only one left standing. It breaks my heart.
Robin leaves behind a family and a legacy of artistic beauty that cannot be rivaled by anybody. In the same documentary, Robin's wife mentioned that she would sometimes hear him singing in the other room, and that it sounded like an angel singing. Now we'll never hear that beautiful angel sing again - but we have his legacy to keep us going. Rest in peace, Robin, you changed this girl's life forever.

Comments

Louis Skye said…
Wow. Very well-written tribute. Brought tears to my eyes. Robin's unique voice really added to the harmony that was intrinsic to the Bee Gees' sound. And Barry being the only Bee Gee left is just heartbreaking. However, Robin's legacy is going to play on all our iPods, and that's more than we can say about a lot of singers today.
Anonymous said…
Your words here are just beautiful. I have tried to find the words myself on my blog to talk about losing Robin, and my deep feelings for all the Brothers Gibb:

http://dreambetween.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/gibb-stories/

I don't think I've begun to articulate it, so thank you for your clear and moving expression.