To Smoke or Not to Smoke

Ensign Lestat’s Personal Log, 13/08/08

I would categorize this day as interesting, not so much for the events that took place (which were nothing to rave about and were definitely not life-changing), but because I’ve really had no adverse reactions to the day.

Let me explain.

Yesterday I went out to a restaurant (in the pouring rain) with my Mom and sister. We’d read rave reviews of this place, and I suppose that should have given us a hint of what was to come. The food was… well, let’s just say terrible is an understatement. But what irked me the most was that at this table behind us was a man (not a gentleman) smoking to his heart’s content. Why was he smoking in a public place? Why was no one stopping him (meaning the manager or something)? I was under the impression smoking had been banned in public places in Kolkata. But apparently NOT!
I can not explain my rage when I encounter a smoker. Say what you will about all the harmful substances people ingest (food is now on that list, as well), nothing can be worse than smoking, for one simple reason; it affects people who have nothing to do with it.

I recently read a survey which said that people with smoking spouses have increased chances of suffering from lung diseases. I completely get that spouses choose to be in such an environment. But what about the rest of us?

Every time there’s talk of a ban on smoking, sanctimonious smokers will claim ‘it’s my choice; I’ll do whatever I want’. Your choice ends the moment our rights begin, mate! God, save us from these idiots! I really don’t know how these people are able to absolve themselves of their sins so easily. I mean, can’t they SEE it’s bothering the people around them?

But, of course not. Or else would I be writing this blog?

Anyway, the sanctimonious (I really only want to use that word at the moment) idiot left only after we’d finished our lunch and as my Mom remarked (unfortunately too softly for him to hear), ‘he’s succeeded in ruining our lunch’.

I really wish we could’ve ticked him off. However, it is not a recommended course of action. The recommended course of action is for the government to implement stringent laws against smoking in public.

I guess I’m hoping for too much.

Comments