Book Review - Around the World in 80 Days

Around the World in 80 DaysAround the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As a child I avoided a lot of the classics because I felt they would be too dated. I'd go through some, feel completely at odds with the protagonists and the situations, and never want to pick one up again.

As an adult, I have thankfully developed much more of an appreciation of the classic arts, none more so than those belonging to the adventure/sci-fi genre.

'...80 days' is a fun ride, gripping till the end, a proper rollercoaster of high-jinks, betrayals, travelogues and character studies. Our impulsive protagonist puts down a wager to travel the world in 80 days, but comes across far too many obstacles than he expected. Can he make it back home before the deadline?

The story does feel dated, but there's no detracting from just how much fun this story is. It's a quick read because it never stops. The momentum and pace is akin to that felt by the characters as they persevere in their journey. This is one story you can never tire of.

View all my reviews

Comments